Senior Mechanical Engineer
Our client is looking for a senior mechanical engineer to design next-generation thermally managed lithium-ion battery pack systems for automotive, industrial, marine, aerospace and defence applications. You will be responsible for all aspects of physical design of next-generation lithium-ion battery modules, packs and systems. The expectation is not that you arrive on day 1 with this capability, but that you have the aptitude and desire to learn all aspects of battery pack design.
- Support engineering and manufacturing unit deliverables for next generation high-voltage battery design and manufacturing.
- Manage critical path timelines for battery development by planning, organizing and controlling resources to deliver battery concepts to an agreed quality and timescale.
- Define and maintain pack level requirements for battery controls, internal mechanical, electrical components (high voltage contactors/wiring), battery cells, and thermal performance.
- Develop battery level DFMEA including implementations to manage severity and/or occurrence.
- Define test plans to validate all requirements and functional performance.
- Lead design trade-offs between thermal, packaging, NVH, and hardware/software solutions.
- Support all quality documents required for manufacturing builds, PPAP, shipping, labeling, test requirements, etc.
- 5-years’ experience in a design engineer role.
- Demonstrated successful experience in mechanical engineering from concept through production release with a focus on DFM.
- Experience with various manufacturing processes such as plastic injection molding, metal stamping, extruding, casting, welding, bonding, and fastener selection.
- Direct machine shop/CNC skills a plus.
- Test experience, including knowledge of sensors, DACs, data collection and data analysis.
- Knowledge of stampings, castings, and injection molded plastics.
- Experience with Quality documents (DFMEA, PFMEA, control plans, etc.).
- Ability to define requirements and conduct analysis for cooling systems and components, including pumps, compressors, heat exchangers, pipes & hoses, expansion/header tanks and cooling fluids.
- Highly proficient with CAD/CAE (SolidWorks specifically is a benefit).
- CAM experience is a plus.
- Familiarity with basic thermal modelling/CFD is a plus
- Familiarity with basic FEA is a plus
- Bonus scheme
- Flexible working hours
- On-site parking
- Company events & social hours
- Casual dress
- Wellness programmes
- Private medical/dental insurance
- Work from home opportunities
- Life insurance